Skip to main content

Time to Leave Application

Wow! The third week of Hacktoberfest is coming to an end and it has been an experience for me so far. Before hacktoberfest, I never thought that I would be able to contribute to other people's projects and actually see my contribution be committed to a project. This week was a huge step for me. I had to opportunity to work on a project that I found very interesting and test my coding skills with the application. The best part of the experience was that it gave me the chance to collaborate on the issue with the main developer where we discussed how to come up with a solution. After the solution was provided, my code was merged into the main project which gave me a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction,.

The Project

After countless hours searching through GitHub for an open-source project to contribute to, I came across Time to Leave developed by thamara. This application is like a reminder that allows users to log their work hours it the application and receive a notification for when its time to leave the office.

The Issue

The issue created by the developer was adding a help menu to the navigational bar of the application. Within this help menu, two sub-menus were needed to be added, one linking to the GitHub page and the other to the release notes of the project.

The Pull Request

After going through the code base, I managed to figure out where I would implement my solution to the issue. But before I went on implementing my solution I had to go through the electron framework documentation to see what built-in functions I could use. After a few trials and errors, I implemented what I thought was the best solution and created a pull request.

With my solution, I decided to display a new window, set the URL to the ones the developer requested and displayed the window to the user

After a review from the main developer, she mentioned a few suggestions to my code where then I applied the changes she requested.


The developer's suggestion was to remove the use of the application window and use the browser of the users operating system to launch the links.

Learned Lessons

Again I had the chance to work with git and learned a few things with working on active projects. I had to pull new commits to the main branch of the project to my own origin branch so there would be no merge conflicts or issues. I also worked with the new framework, Electron which was a cool experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Contributions

As the final weeks of our semester approaches, i submit my last two pr. During these months i have learned many things and had fun doing it. Working with Github and Git was the best learning experience i had throughout the months. I also had the opportunity of researching and experimenting with open source technologies. Overall everything i learned from this course i will for sure use, for instance, using git at the workplace or use of open-source technology for other projects. I took the time this week to review the requested changes made to one of my pull request that i had made to vscode. I managed to close two changes but i have one more change request to make before i could ask them to review it again.  Last week my plan was to learn more about Lighthouse and implement it into our course project. After a few days of working on this issue , i came to a conclusion of using the following code as my solution: " lighthouse-index " : " lighthouse http://localho

Rhymus Application

The last day of Hacktoberfest is here and I submit my last pull request. It has been a great exposure to the open-source community. Before starting hacktoberfest I set two goals: Git - How to use git C# & TypeScript - Learn new languages Working with multiple projects, I managed to get a hang of using git. Unfourtonalty I didn't have the chance to give C# & TypeScript. My plan is to focus on this goal for the next month as we dive into working with big open source projects. rhymus This week I had the opportunity to work on rhymus .  the bug was to display the score to the player once the game was over. At first, the developer wanted the score to be displayed in a pop-up. I tried using javascript alert() method on but it didn't look very user-friendly, so I decided to come up with a design and suggest it to him. I decided to add the scoreboard on the card once the game was over and would be removed for a new game. Afterwards, I made the pull request and

Here i come Hacktoberfest

An amazing opportunity has appeared for me, giving me the chance to get involved in the open-source community. Its  Hacktoberfest  in a few days and I'm super excited to get my hands wet with some code! Hackertoberfest is an event hosted by Digital Ocean every October to get people involved and contribute to open source projects. As a beginner in the realm of open source, I will be participating in this event to reach the two goals I have set for myself. Click here for more information about Hacktoberfest Goals Git The first goal is learning more about how to use git. If you have been reading my previous blogs, I'm new to using Git and I have been learning the basics for over the past few weeks. But I feel like there's still more to learn and experience with Git. Participating in this event will help me utilizes that and help me become proficient in it.  C# & TypeScript The second goal is to learn a new programming language. My focus will be on C#