Skip to main content

Here i come Hacktoberfest

An amazing opportunity has appeared for me, giving me the chance to get involved in the open-source community. Its Hacktoberfest in a few days and I'm super excited to get my hands wet with some code! Hackertoberfest is an event hosted by Digital Ocean every October to get people involved and contribute to open source projects. As a beginner in the realm of open source, I will be participating in this event to reach the two goals I have set for myself.

Click here for more information about Hacktoberfest

Goals

Git

The first goal is learning more about how to use git. If you have been reading my previous blogs, I'm new to using Git and I have been learning the basics for over the past few weeks. But I feel like there's still more to learn and experience with Git. Participating in this event will help me utilizes that and help me become proficient in it. 

C# & TypeScript

The second goal is to learn a new programming language. My focus will be on C# and Typescript, two languages that I have briefly touched before but I still consider myself a novice in these languages. During this event, I will focus on working on projects that are developed with or on C# or Typescript to help me improve my understanding of both languages.

  

Projects and Issues

As I began searching for projects to work on during Hacktoberfest, I started to get overwhelmed. There are many great projects to work with but I was finding a hard time finding issues that I can contribute to with the knowledge base I have. In order not to swamp myself with many tasks, i decided to pick projects that are developed in C# or TypeScript and start on small issues. This will help me get familiarized with the project and the code.  

Tackling the following issues:   
  1. Increase variable form width to 100%
  2. Can we give better error messages on invoked accessors?
  3. Update VS Code from Command Palette


                      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking on new technology

In my last week's blog, I talked about the two objectives I would take on during November. In the middle of working on the contributions, I decided to change my issue for the internal open source project. I'm hoping to continue with this issue for next pull request I have to submit for my course. As you know, the external open source project I chose to contribute to was vscode . In the beginning, when i saw this issue , i thought this would be an uncomplicated and straightforward issue to work on within a big open source project. Before i forked the clown, i took a good look at the documents they had to just get a sense of how to contribute to the project and do the simple tasks of running and testing. After cloning, i had an issue running the project, this is where i spent some good time reading the documentation again, but i was just having a hard time running the project. I managed to get it running after a few reads.  Thanks to another contributor i had a hint of where

Material Design Troubles?

During the first week of Hacktoberfest, it was very challenging for me to find an open-source projects where I could contribute to. After learning how to define better search criteria using GitHub keywords, I came to a project called React Budget App developed by benhalverson. The developer had posted a live version of the application where I spent my time and examined how the application worked. After playing with the application, I knew this was something I could help contribute too. After forking the project and getting the issue assigned to me, I spent a few days tackling the issue. I faced many bumps which I will explain about them further below but I managed to accomplish what the developer had requested in the end. The Issue The issue that was raised by the developer was that there was no User Interface to the application and it looked kinda dull. I took upon myself to start designing and implementing a better-looking feature UI to give the user a better experience with t